Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 24, 2019

QT 24 Jan 19, 2 Cor 12:9, Rest in God, not in our abilities


2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV) — 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

NOTE: What does it mean for God's power to be made perfect in weakness? There are a number of answers. 1) It causes us to rely upon him and not ourselves. 2) It causes us to see God as the one who achieved something and not us. 3) It causes us to not worry about results, because God is in charge. 4) It causes us to delight in weakness, in the sense that is opposite of pride where we might glory in ourselves or our abilities. 5) It causes us to see weakness as opportunities for God to manifest his power through us. 6) In the latter case, we might even begin to see our so-called strengths as weaknesses that God must manifest his power through in order to achieve some desired outcome.

PRAYER: Father, our human nature struggles so much with pride. It is defining characteristic of the evil one -- well, that and lying. But, the person you can use, is the person who does not rely upon his own abilities or knowledge but rests (does not worry about it) on you. Help me to live in a manner where I don't promote myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment