Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

QT 2 Jan 19, 2 Cor 7:10, We need to examine ourselves more


2 Corinthians 7:10 (ESV) — For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.

NOTE: I like Constable's comments on this verse. Too often we use the word "salvation" to always refer to spiritual, whereas many times it is delivery from a temporal problem.

"The proper response, God’s will, results in a change of mind (repentance) that leads to deliverance from the bad situation (salvation in the temporal sense here) without later regret. The improper response, the world’s typical superficial response, does not result in a change of mind (repentance) but leads to resentment and bitterness (ultimately death in the temporal sense). Suffering in itself does not necessarily benefit us. It proves to be a good thing for us only as we respond properly to it…" (Constable, T. (2003). Tom Constable’s Expository Notes on the Bible (2 Co 7:10). Galaxie Software.)

True repentance cleanses us from the past actions internally. But faked repentance rears its head again and again over the same issue. True repentance in even temporal situations is a work of the Holy Spirit and prayer. We need to pray like David did in Ps 139 "Search me O God and know my heart …" We need to respond to the HS when he reveals our sin.

PRAYER: Father, open my eyes to see my sin. Show me where I am wrong, not where others have wronged me. Change my perspective. May I be much more critical of myself and less so of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment