Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

QT 29 Jan 19, 2 Cor 13:1, Be careful in dealing with hurts

2 Corinthians 13:1 (ESV) — This is the third time I am coming to you. Every charge must be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.

NOTE: This is an excellent principle and warning. We need to be careful in jumping to conclusions on the basis of one report or even one confirmed incident in a person's life. We are far too quick to judge. We are, in fact, to judge--but not the world. But within the church, we are to judge. And I think we need to be careful here as well. I would leave those issues to the leadership. I think it is appropriate to talk to leadership when you have concerns about another brother (or sister) in the Lord. If the offense is against you or we have hurt another, we have a responsibility to gently approach our brother and sister, and confess our sin, or share our hurt (when we feel sinned against). But I think some of us are far too sensitive and in most cases, we need to forgive, forget, and move on. As Paul says earlier in Corinthians, "why not just be hurt or taken advantage of? Does it really make a difference?"

PRAYER: Father, help us to love one another and to forgive one another. I pray we would stop focusing on ourselves but on the benefit of other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment