Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 14, 2019

QT 14 Mar 19, 1 Pet 4:1-2, Live for the will of God, not for sin


1 Peter 4:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 2 so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God.

NOTE: These are not the easiest verses in the world to understand. I think I see Peter's point in the extreme. When we suffer for a sin, we finally wake up to why that sin is so terrible. Maybe drunkenness has caused an accident or ruined a relationship. Maybe sexual sins have hurt our marriage or resulted in adultery or divorce. For the unbeliever, there may be some learning, but for the believer, it can be a wakeup call to our sin's destructiveness and our need to change. It may cause us to finally turn to God in utter repentance, crying out for help. Of course, it would be a whole lot better if we could learn without the pain, if we could call out to God in the agony of our spirit without having to learn the harder lesson. And maybe that is Peter's point, you can suffer and be cleansed from sin, or you can choose, in repentance and the power of the Holy Spirit, to put off the sin and to put on behavior (that replaces) that is pleasing to God.

PRAYER: Father, help me to see where I need to change, where I am playing with things that I need to let go. Help me to see those things, to repent wholeheartedly, and to replace those sins with activities and behavior that please you. Open my eyes to my faults.

No comments:

Post a Comment