Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

QT 19 Mar 19, 1 Pet 5:2, Desire to lead is good if done for the right reason


1 Peter 5:2 (ESV) — 2 shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly;

NOTE: This is specifically written to the spiritual leaders of a church, the elders (a pastor being one of the elders). But it is good advice for any leadership position. A shepherd cares for the flock. He sees to the needs. He protects them from danger. He provides shelter from storms. He sees the storms coming. Not every decision of the shepherd is welcomed, but every decision is for their good. And he doesn't do it to get rich, but because he is called to God. He does it eagerly. There is nothing wrong about being eager to lead, as long as it is for the right reason.

PRAYER: Father, help me to understand my motives. May I confess those that are wrong. May I seek those that are correct and proper. Open my eyes. Help  me to be the shepherd that you have called me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment