Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

QT 13 Aug 19, 1 Time 3:4, Measuring Elders


1 Timothy 3:4 (ESV) — 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive,

NOTE: One thing I had not really notice before is that the command is not that his children have to be submissive, but rather "he must manage his own household well, with all dignity …" The emphasis appears to be on how he does it versus the results. Certainly, uncontrolled children can be an indicator of faults in the home, but not when the person shows the skills necessary and does it in a dignified manner, as opposed to exasperation. Dignity suggests a plan and a peace within, that the person is doing what God commands. We cannot force obedience onto our children, certainly God was never able to do that as exemplified in Adam, Eve, the two sisters (Israel and Judah), the prodigal son, and the prodigal son's brother. In six cases, we have children (or the metaphor of children) who rebelled against their Father. People will choose their own road in life. We can't measure an elder by his children, but we can measure him by his approach and trust in God in dealing with his family.

PRAYER:  Father, I thank you for my children I wish that they did not go through years of rebellion. I thank you for your work in bringing them back to the faith. I thank you for their insight. I pray they would continue to love Jesus above all. Have mercy on them. Shower them with your blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment