Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

QT 7 Aug 19, 1 Tim 1:18, The enemy is trying to take us out, or makes us ineffective


1 Timothy 1:18 (ESV) — This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare,

NOTE: Paul uses a military metaphor 6 times in scripture, 4 in letters to Timothy and twice in his letters to the Corinthians. I suppose these set of letters were his most emotional. The Corinthian letters may even be missing one because of the emotion, but the other two are a deep pleading for the church to not go astray. I guess Galatians is also very emotional but also very early in his ministry. Corinthians and the letters to Timothy are late letters. But in Timothy, he uses the military metaphor a lot. Timothy was his spiritual son. He was deeply concerned for his spiritual son who was also in ministry. So, he uses military metaphors. Why? It is a struggle. People get knocked off. You don't have a lot of time to help the wounded before you have to get back in the battle and fight. Our enemy is fierce with a wide array of destructive weapons. Sometimes, you do not even see it happening before you are caught. He wounds us, he tries to discourage our morale, he wants to knock us out of the battle, either by our quitting or our failure that so completely destroys our witness as to be combat ineffective. We need to train and we need to be a part of a strong combat unit, a squad of men.

PRAYER: Father, I am in a battle. I don't want to forget it. The enemy is targeting me and many others like me. He has a wide array of weapons, tactics, and strategies. They are designed to defeat me, and to render me "combat"-ineffective. I pray that your Holy Spirit would protect me and strengthen me so that I would not fail in the day of battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment