Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 29, 2019

QT 29 Aug 19, 1 Tim 5:17, Good spiritual leaders should be doubly honored


1 Timothy 5:17 (ESV) — Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching.

NOTE: In this verse, the word "elders" has a qualifier, "who rule well," and "labor in preaching and teaching." In other words, not every elder, but those who do a good job at it. In the middle ages, a religious leader was considered a cozy job with decent pay, little work, and some degree of honor. It is very sad that even today some consider the occupation similarly. Others, the agnostic and atheist, view the job with disdain. My point, is that, the double honor is reserved for those who do it well, and who work hard at preaching and teaching.

What does double honor mean? Well, they certainly should be paid well as the verses which follow suggest. And we should consider their words with great interest and introspection. At least that is how I would view a boss that I greatly honored.

PRAYER: Father, show me how I should honor my spiritual leaders. I don't often do things out of the blue. Maybe I need to send a surprise gift or note. Lead me in a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment