Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 15, 2019

QT 15 Aug 19, 1 Tim 3:11, The role of Deaconess


1 Timothy 3:11 (NASB95) — Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things.

NOTE: I'm going to choose the NASB for this verse. The Greek word, gyne, can be translated as wives or women. Given other references regarding women in ministry roles in Acts and the letters, I believe there probably was a role of deaconess. It would seem strange that deacons would have an added restriction to their service in comparison with elders. Nor does it seem fair that the wife could disqualify the husband for a position. Although I have seen the situation quite often, where the women wears her husband's rank. Additionally, others imposes it upon her -- whether that is correct or not. In any case, there is an expectation of women deacons to display dignity, avoidance of gossip, temperate (not extravagant), and faithfulness in all things. It is not enough to agree to something, a person (in this case the deaconess) must follow through in her actions. If our church ever institutes deaconesses, this verse will require much more study.

PRAYER: Father, I lift up the leadership of our church. I don't know if this is a necessary thing (deaconesses) or not, but I pray that you would lead and guide us. Independent of any decision, I pray that women leading ministries would develop the qualities outlined here. Challenge us all that we live in a spiritual world as well as a physical, and it is very important that we do things spiritually correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment