Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 22, 2019

QT 22 Aug 19, 1 Tim 5:1-2, The aged are due respect


1 Timothy 5:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity.

NOTE: The admonition is essentially to respect age. Once again, this is an area where the world (led by Satan), has lifted up the young and cast down the age, placing them on the same level. Respect for elders is wanton -- deliberately ignored by our culture. I see this especially in the selection of leaders in our communities, both at the business level and at the political level. Power is a very dangerous element and is made especially so when a person does not have the years of experience to wield it. This can lead to very dangerous crashes and the destruction of the individual and his/her relationships. The application is to respect age and to appreciate that age brings many insights to life.

PRAYER: Father, I am partially in this group, the aged, yet I don't always feel like it. Still, there are also others much older than me that I should respect. Father, help me to be sensitive to the aged and to treat them with the respect that they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment