Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

QT 1 Apr 2020, 1 Tim 3:3, Elders must exercise self-control


1 Timothy 3:3 (ESV) — not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.

NOTE: Verse 3 continues the qualifications for an elder or pastor. Interestingly, the phrase "drunkard" indicates a person addicted to wine, as opposed to not drinking wine at all. There is a great debate on this subject as the quality of the water led many people groups to use wine instead, although probably not with the same alcoholic content. Yet, there was wine that had enough alcoholic content to get a person drunk. The wine Jesus made for the marriage feast, at least by the wine-taster's opinion, was more of this type. Like all things, there should be moderation. Anything in extreme leads to a sort of gluttony. You can probably eat too much, drink too much, play games too much, work too much, sleep too much (Prov 6:10; 24:33), read too much, and just about anything good can be done too much. Maybe you can't pray too much. An elder must not be given to any addiction.

PRAYER: Father, protect me from my flesh. I know that I can easily fall into any number of addictions. I need you Holy Spirit's power to exercise self-control in all that I do in life. Bring to my mind areas where I am blind to my flesh's addictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment