Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

QT 22 Apr 2020, Eph 6:14-15, Shoes: We need to be prepared to go anywhere and to give an answer


Ephesians 6:14–15 (ESV) — 14 Stand therefore, …, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.

NOTE: As a veteran, and former commander, readiness is a crucial military concept. We measure it constantly, we classify it, we track it, and we fix it when it falls too low (sometimes by firing the commander). The first thing Paul starts with is shoes for your feet. Shoes give you the ability to move into many different areas. Without shoes, some areas cannot be entered. Also, shoes protect you from many unseen foes and diseases of many kinds. Roman shoes (sandals) had nails imbedded in the leather for traction, which probably help in battle. Now we bring in "readiness," the Greek word hetoimasia, which means the condition of being prepared. This is what it meant in the military. And finally, the gospel of peace is the good news of peace (a state of well-being and concord). This peace is only attained in a relationship with Jesus Christ. A good cross reference is in Peter's letter:

1 Peter 3:15 (RSV) — 15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;

So pulling this all together, the shoes are the ability to take the gospel into the world. We need to be ready. We need to study. We need to be bold and not shrink back when someone questions us. We don't need to know every answer, in fact a simple answer such as,

"I don't know about that (optional: and I will research it), all I know is that when I asked Jesus to be my savior, my life radically changed from the inside out. I have a peace that I never experienced before. I see my life, certainly not perfect, but changing as I grow in this new found relationship with Jesus Christ."

The above is a great answer, providing it is true for you. But, I would add that if someone asks me a question I cannot answer, I try to make sure that is last time that question is asked and I don't have an answer. That is the point of 1 Pet 3:15 "… always being prepared."

PRAYER: Father, I pray I would stand my ground. I pray I would move into areas and relationships that may be uncomfortable. And I pray I would continually get better at answering questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment