Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, April 30, 2020

QT 30 Apr 2020, 1 Tim 3:16, Are we making a difference?


1 Timothy 3:16 (ESV) — Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness:
He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on in the world,
taken up in glory.

NOTE: Many commentators believe this to be a fragment of a hymn or a statement of faith from the apostolic church. Towner writes “. . . this phrase the mystery of godliness forms a connection between the appearance of Christ, which the hymn celebrates, and Christian living: the mystery is the essence of godliness.” I might say it differently, the mystery is that the unimaginable happened -- God, for a moment in history became man, while still remaining God. The song alternates from the earth to the heavens: flesh to Spirit, angels to nations, and the world to glory. And in the New Covenant, this new group of believers, the church, is represented in two metaphors, the body of Christ on earth, and the future bride of Christ in heaven.

I've struggled a lot lately seeing the church as either of those two ideas. So many church-goers do not live like Christ. They are whiny, picky, unkind, uncaring, selfish, and self-absorbed. I see some, which gives me great hope, who truly love the Lord and have a deep life-changing relationship with Jesus. There is joy in every aspect of their witness. They are different. Their character is attractive. And there is the aroma of Christ surrounding them. Unfortunately, I think too many church-goers think they are to be the aroma of death to the world, but the problem is that aroma permeates everything about their life.

Lord, why can't we take the Christian life more seriously. Why don't we apply the word to our life? Why do we just listen? Why don't we care for the lost? Why do we seem so feeble?

PRAYER: Father, I know I am part of the problem. I too, live for the comfortable life. I do ministry, but I am like Jonah in the end, I am only thinking of myself. Forgive me. Help me to take my responsibilities to love and pray for others more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment