Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, April 9, 2020

QT 9 Apr 2020, 1 Tim 3:9, Deacons must have a clear conscience in regard to the faith


1 Timothy 3:9 (ESV) — They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.

NOTE: Whereas the elder is required to be able to teach, the deacon is only required to exercise a clear conscience in regard to the faith, meaning he believes but might not understand the mysteries nor even be able to explain the mysteries. But the key thing is that he accepts the truth of scripture as God's word. There certainly is a difference between elder and deacon. Currently, in my church, only the Pastors are elders and the lay leaders are either ministers or deacons. I actually like the system used in other evangelical elder-led churches. The lay elders run the church with the Senior Pastor as a fellow elder. The other pastors report to the senior pastor, although in my mind, they are elders too. I think the reason they are not part of the elder board is there might be tension between the Pastors. The elders, all but one are lay leaders, are free of any burden to support a position because of monetary reasons, since they all have jobs outside the church. The fascinating thing is that I have never met a group of men so united in spirit as when I have served as an elder. I have seen it three times in the ten years or so I did serve as an elder. It is an amazing thing.

PRAYER: Father, I realize there is no one way to organize the church. Whether the elders are all Pastors or the elders include lay leaders is really not a point to disagree about. The key thing is that we follow the Spirit in unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment