Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 13, 2020

QT 13 Apr 2020, 1 Tim 3:12-13, Quiet service


1 Timothy 3:12–13 (ESV) — 12 Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. 13 For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

NOTE: There are two ways to view these two verses. If verses 8-10 concerned men as deacons and verse 11, women as deaconesses, then these verses could apply to both. The second way is that Paul is returning to the men. Given the end of chapter 3 and the problem with both men and women serving in their proper roles, it is not surprising to return to the men. Again, deacons who serve in the church must be spiritual leaders in the home. What men don't realize, who avoid their spiritual responsibilities is that this strengthens their reputation and that it strengthens their faith. The elders provide oversight and leadership in the church. The Deacons and Deaconesses serve the church. They are most effective when least seen. Their quiet humility is not unnoticed nor is their service. God sees it and the wise and perceptive see it.

PRAYER: Father, quiet humility is a good goal for me. I should serve out of love and not to be seen. No one needs to know the work that goes into ministry. I should do the job God has given me. He is my reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment