Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, April 2, 2020

QT 2 Apr 2020, 1 Tim 3:4-5, Biblical leaders take the lead in their household


1 Timothy 3:4–5 (ESV) — 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, 5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church?

NOTE:  How we "manage" our family is a key discriminant in choosing leaders. But let's turn that around for a bit. How does God manage his family, the body of Christ, and previously the Israelites or the angels? He does not interfere with their free will. They do not always follow his directions. Sometimes they accomplish great things but far too often they fall far short of their potential effectiveness. So, does not that mean God is not good at managing his household? Absolutely not. Therefore the first rule is that our household's performance is not necessarily a good measure, although it might be an indicator. The word manage means to lead (authority) or guide or direct. A secondary definition is engage in aiding. The root word is to stand. So, the real question for me in determining an elder is as follows: Does the person take the spiritual lead in the household? Does the person stand for biblical truth? Does the person take appropriate steps to aid struggling family members (without enabling behavior)? Does the person's life show strong character example to others in the family? If the family is a mess, it could be the husband's leadership, but not necessarily, since all people have free will. Like God's first children, Adam and Eve, just having strong parents is no guarantee of success.

PRAYER: Father, give me wisdom to lead my family effectively. I pray my words and my actions would not be in conflict. I pray my leadership would be loving but firm. I pray for your help because I know I cannot do it in my own power.

No comments:

Post a Comment