Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

QT 2/1/2022 Matt 18:28-35, Do I truly forgive others as I have been forgiven?

Matthew 18:28–35 (ESV) —

28 But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay what you owe.’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you.’ 30 He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. 31 When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. 32 Then his master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ 34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”

 

NOTE: The scene is repeated in the second half of the parable between the original servant and a fellow servant. This time the sum is paltry in comparison to the previous amount. The exact same words are used by the fellow servant that the original servant had used when he was forgiven. The difference is the original servant refuses to grant mercy to his fellow servant, instead throwing his fellow servant into jail. The events are reported to the master and the original servant is now delivered to jail. The summary statement is: "So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."

 

How does this apply? Was the first servant a believer or only offered the forgiveness that comes from the cross? If he was a believer, he can't lose his salvation, although his life can be a bitter trial if he can't learn to forgive. Or is the situation somewhat impossible, but not completely. There are consequences if we refuse to forgive another, very serious consequences, though falling short of a loss of salvation. This is an important matter to God. He has forgiven us incredibly, so also we should forgive others.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I hold a grudge against another for a false accusation or some other sin? Then I need to forgive.
  2. Do I truly comprehend my own forgiveness? If not, I may never recognize my deep need to forgive others.

 

PRAYER: Father, I know I have been forgiven. There is no question in my mind. The real question is, do I forgive others completely? Satan has tried to attack me through others. It is a very hurtful thing. I have learned from those situations, but have I forgiven the other parties? Father, I do want to forgive from my heart. I want to show grace if I ever see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment