Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

QT 2/16/2022 Matt 20:24-28, Christian leadership

Matthew 20:24–28 (ESV) —

24 And when the ten heard it, they were indignant at the two brothers. 25 But Jesus called them to him and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 26 It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

 

NOTE: We are not different than the disciples. We want the titles. We want the pomp. We want to be treated as if we are more important than others. It is our sinful flesh which desires "the pride of life." Jesus' disciples thought as we do, they mimicked the world around them. The world, as Weber notes,

 

The way they demonstrated their “greatness” was to lord it over others and to exercise authority. Jesus was not criticizing authoritative or hierarchical structure but the “strutting.”

Such behavior is born out of insecurity and pride. The person who “bosses” others around is trying to prove to himself that he is as great as he hopes. It is only an illusion … (Weber, S. K. (2000). Matthew (Vol. 1, p. 324). Broadman & Holman Publishers.)

 

But we have the Holy Spirit, and we can see it, and -- we can act differently. Why?

 

  1. Because I have nothing to prove. I am an adopted child of God. My father is the King of kings and Lord of lords. I am completely accepted by God, and fully loved. I have an incredible inheritance. I already have value (importance).
  2. That kind of behavior is inimical to our witness and the advancement of the gospel, especially as a leader. Those around us should see a difference in our leadership because of our salvation.

 

What should that look like, as a leader?

 

  1. I don't need all the attention, I need to get the focus on the team members
  2. I don't need the credit, I need to give others credit for the work (even when it is my idea)
  3. I don't need to make all the decisions, I need to let others take ownership
  4. I don't need to dominate meetings, I need only help (finding the balance is not easy)

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I selfless leader? Do I care that others get the credit?
  2. Do I desire the pomp? Am I comfortable being the janitor?

 

PRAYER: Father, as a leader, I want people to see a difference in my life that encourages them to pursue faith in my savior. Continue to use me toward that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment