Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

QT 2/9/2022 Matt 19:25-30, God is the one doing good works in my life, not me

Matthew 19:25–30 (ESV) —

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” 26 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” 27 Then Peter said in reply, “See, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?” 28 Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

 

NOTE: It is important to not miss the disciple's astonishment. They are confused for a number of reasons. First, the Old Covenant law did promise physical blessing for obedience (at least on the national level, if not also at the individual level). The New Covenant promises blessing both now in the future (with an emphasis on the future kingdom) but also suffering for the sake of the kingdom in this present life. Secondly, they are stuck on the same point that the rich man was stuck, salvation is not dictated by works. Almost every religion in the world has a performance (works) aspect, and many branches under the title of Christianity have mistakenly added that requirement. But what Jesus did on the cross satisfies the impossibility of complete adherence to the law and lays out the only requirement for salvation -- faith. Even today, people are astonished. They still think we have to "be good" not realizing that by faith in Christ alone, we are born again, so that God makes us "good."

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I understand that I have no argument whatsoever for heaven except what Jesus did for me?

 

PRAYER: Father, root out the pride in my life. I know it has nothing to do with me. You have changed my life and are continuing to change my life each day, week, and year. I am different today not because of works but because of your work in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment