Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, February 25, 2022

QT 2/25/2022 Matt 21:28-32, Has Jesus CHANGED you?

Matthew 21:28–32 (ESV) —

28 “What do you think? A man had two sons. And he went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ 29 And he answered, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he changed his mind and went. 30 And he went to the other son and said the same. And he answered, ‘I go, sir,’ but did not go. 31 Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the kingdom of God before you. 32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. And even when you saw it, you did not afterward change your minds and believe him.

 

NOTE: I suppose there are two other groups, the one who said he will and does. The last group is the one who said he won't and he does not. But Jesus focuses not on the person who was true to his word as are both my cases above, but on the person who acts differently than his initial response. It seems that religious Jews are the first group Jesus mentions.

 

And the Lord said: “Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men,” (Isaiah 29:13, ESV)

 

The Gentiles would be the group far from God, but in repentance turn to God and do what he says. With whom will God be pleased? In this case the Gentile "dog" (as referred to by Jewish people of that time) is more acceptable to God than "his" people.

 

In reality, I have complicated it too much. It is not Jew and Gentile, but those who do what God requires (to believe in his son) and those who do not (they reject his son). The church is this group or entity, and is composed of both Jew and Gentile (believers in Jesus).

 

This probably is a continuation of his non-answer to the question of authority previously asked. Religiosity is not the answer (saying you accept Jesus as the Son of God and his sacrifice for your sin, and then not allowing him to reign), but actually believing and accepting the son's reign over your life. I know this sounds a little like lordship salvation, but what makes lordship salvation work is that a true believer should experience the new life, and if there is no change -- Jesus is not Lord -- then was the response just intellectual or just emotional?

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I know Jesus is my savior? Do I see any change from within?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you that I know in my heart that Jesus has changed me. I am not who I was. It is the Spirit of God who has recreated me. There is no denying that change. I still struggle and am still changing, but I know who my redeemer is and he lives within my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment