Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, February 24, 2022

QT 2/24/2022 Matt 21:23-27, Whose authority do I recognize?

Matthew 21:23–27 (ESV) —

23 And when he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came up to him as he was teaching, and said, “By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?” 24 Jesus answered them, “I also will ask you one question, and if you tell me the answer, then I also will tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 The baptism of John, from where did it come? From heaven or from man?” And they discussed it among themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say to us, ‘Why then did you not believe him?’ 26 But if we say, ‘From man,’ we are afraid of the crowd, for they all hold that John was a prophet.” 27 So they answered Jesus, “We do not know.” And he said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.

 

NOTE: Here begins a long section on Jesus' authority. Jesus responds to the first question of authority with his own question, a common rabbinical device. And while the question did put his questioners in a bind, it was also an answer to their question. The people held that John was a prophet, and more importantly, the scriptures tell us the same. He was the forerunner for Jesus. His ministry was directly tied to preparing people for the coming of the messiah. When Jesus was baptized, the Father spoke from heaven, "this is my son," and the Spirit descended as a dove. Jewish rules required two rabbis with authority to confer authority to another rabbi. But Jesus' authority was inherit -- he was God. But the triune God added two additional persons of authority, the Father and the Spirit who conferred authority to the son. This event conducted by John the Baptist was the essential act of authority required by Jewish rule. Additionally, if John was sent by God to reveal Jesus, his messenger, then Jesus is by implication sent from God as well. The question was answered but not in a way that the leaders might use in a court hearing.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I see Jesus as the complete authority in my life?
  2. Or do I play a game like so many others, acknowledging God but ignoring him mostly in living?

 

PRAYER: Father, open our eyes to what true obedience looks like. Don't allow us to fool ourselves into thinking we serve you when we don't. Change us to be like your son.

No comments:

Post a Comment