Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, February 17, 2022

QT 2/17/2022 Matt 20:29-34, Everyone has intrinsic worth

Matthew 20:29–34 (ESV) —

29 And as they went out of Jericho, a great crowd followed him. 30 And behold, there were two blind men sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was passing by, they cried out, “Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!” 31 The crowd rebuked them, telling them to be silent, but they cried out all the more, “Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!” 32 And stopping, Jesus called them and said, “What do you want me to do for you?” 33 They said to him, “Lord, let our eyes be opened.” 34 And Jesus in pity touched their eyes, and immediately they recovered their sight and followed him.

 

NOTE: It is hard to truly understand the setting without having been there. Matthew's description provides some insight. There were two blind men sitting by the road, obviously beggars asking alms for those who walked by. Hearing (one of the blind's special abilities) that Jesus was passing, they make a ruckus, calling out in a loud voice for attention. They are ruining the moment for those following Jesus to Jericho, possible making it difficult to hear what he might be saying or doing as he walks on the road. These beggars were the bottom rung of society. They refused, or did not know how, to conform to the social rules of the situation. And surprisingly, Jesus stops for these two men whom the crowd wished did not exist. Jesus takes time to meet with the lowly and the needy. Jesus serves them, just as he had just told his disciples -- for the son of man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. They were not an interruption, they were his purpose and mission.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I see people as an interruption to my life, or as my purpose in life?
  2. Do I see myself as needy and on the same social scale (in God's eyes) as the beggars?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to see people as you see people and to recognize the inherent value in every relationship and encounter. Give me grace to overcome my selfishness and ugly thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment