Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

QT 2/8/2022 Matt 19:20-24, Free to give

Matthew 19:20–24 (ESV) —

20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

23 And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

 

NOTE: If the man had truly kept the commandments, he would still be lacking, because his heart is evil. To prove it, Jesus pushes a button that would probably get every single person in the western world -- give up everything to the poor, and live for the gospel. How many of us would walk away sad? The only way to obtain eternal life is through belief in the death of Jesus for my sin and his resurrection which is our promise of eternal life. Yes, we are called to give it up all, at least in the sense that it does not control our life. Most of us must work and take care of our family. But most can give far more than we do. I have found that instead of increasing your giving greatly, you increase it gradually, it is easy and enjoyable. Whatever you are giving now, at the next pay increase, put half of the increase into your giving. You are living well enough without it, so it shouldn't make a difference. Every time you get another increase, don't proportionately increase your giving, instead give a larger chunk of the increase. Over time you will see the percentage of money that you are giving grow quite large, and you will barely notice the effect on your life. You won't have as many possession as your neighbors, but you will be free of the control of money.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I struggle with increasing my giving?
  2. Am I legalistic in my giving, giving ten percent and no more?

 

PRAYER: Father, free us from the worship of money. It is an idol in our lives, and yet it can be something so much more blessed. Free us to live for you in joy, hospitality, and philanthropy.

No comments:

Post a Comment