Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

QT 5/11/2022 Matt 26:69-75, Real change begins with real repentance

Matthew 26:69–75 (ESV) — 69 Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came up to him and said, “You also were with Jesus the Galilean.” 70 But he denied it before them all, saying, “I do not know what you mean.” 71 And when he went out to the entrance, another servant girl saw him, and she said to the bystanders, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.” 72 And again he denied it with an oath: “I do not know the man.” 73 After a little while the bystanders came up and said to Peter, “Certainly you too are one of them, for your accent betrays you.” 74 Then he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, “I do not know the man.” And immediately the rooster crowed. 75 And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” And he went out and wept bitterly.

 

NOTE: Blomberg's comments on this passage are quite interesting. In the preceding verses, Jesus stands before the most powerful men in Israel in a trial that will decide his death. In contrast, Peter is question by a couple of servant girls concerning associating with Jesus and he wilts more quickly than lettuce in the hot sun. In fairness to Peter, his life could be at risk if he is associated with Jesus -- at least that is what he thinks -- also, he drew the sword in the garden. But later this same year in history, in the power of the Holy Spirit, before these same men Jesus is facing, he will declare that he must obey God not men in direct defiance to their authority. So, a lot changes in Peter's life in a little less than a year. He is transformed and it is visible. And I believe that his tears are the first step. It is as if Peter is saying, "I am such a failure -- I can't do what I want to do -- I am weak and afraid -- God, forgive me." This is the starting point for any real spiritual change, realizing you can't do it on your own, but also desiring to see real change in your life.

 

PONDER:

  1. Real change starts with real repentance. Half-hearted attempts only fool ourselves. Am I truly desiring real change in my life, or does God only play a peripheral role in my life?

 

PRAYER: Father, it seems like failure is the path to real change. And yet, no one wants to suffer failure. But sometimes it takes failure to get serious. I pray we would hear you speak in your word and we would act on your guidance without having to experience failure, if that is at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment