Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 2, 2022

QT 5/2/2022 Matt 26:30-35, Never let sin reign

Matthew 26:30–35 (ESV) — 30 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 31 Then Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away because of me this night. For it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ 32 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.” 33 Peter answered him, “Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away.” 34 Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” 35 Peter said to him, “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!” And all the disciples said the same.

 

NOTE: The Passover ceremony closes with the typical Jewish singing of the praise Psalms. As they are walking to the Mount of Olives at night, Jesus tells them -- either on the walk, or at the mount of Olives -- that they will all fall away, similar to what he said about the one (Judas) betraying him. But this time, there are two differences. First, everyone will fail. And two, Jesus will rise up, and go before them to Galilee. It is not as bleak as what was said at dinner about the one. Peter, always more impulsive than thinking, denies he could ever betray the Jesus, and Jesus makes it clear that it is everyone by singling out Peter with a prophecy about a rooster. One commentator suggests that the third cock crow was at 0130 (1:30a), while the dinner probably ended a 2200 (10pm). Since Passover was the same day every year, and the Jewish month always started with a new moon, this would have been a full moon evening, and probably the cock crowed at the full moon. Everyone would fall as Zech 13:7 predicted.

 

We all fall in many ways. None of us are perfect. The longer a person walks with God, the more the person realizes their frailties and sinful nature. Even though our lives are being changed from one degree of glory to another, sin remains as a struggle. And we increasingly recognize each day how ugly our sin is to God. But every time we fall, we must repent, ask forgiveness, and seek God again. We must never give in to sin or give up against any sin.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I given up in my fight against sin? Do I excuse any sin as just me? Then I need to repent, ask forgiveness, and start again.

 

PRAYER: Father, protect us from the ruinous effect of sin. May we never give up in our battle until we are given our new bodies and become like Christ. Oh what a glorious day to be freed from sin's control.

No comments:

Post a Comment