Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

QT 5/3/2022 Matt 26:36-39, Believing in the "NO"

Matthew 26:36–39 (ESV) — 36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.” 37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.” 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

 

NOTE: Here is a true example of prayer and the agony between what is desired and what is God's will. Jesus honestly prayed for the cup to pass. Jesus was in great anguish and pain (Weymouth's translation says "crushed with pain"). Jesus opened himself up fully to the father. And Jesus was also obedient, willing to accept God's will, even when it was not what his flesh desired. This is where "name it-claim it" fails and shows itself as a false doctrine. Jesus was sinless and Jesus had full faith, and yet his prayer is not fulfilled. The cup did not pass.

 

God does not answer all of our prayers as we desire, and there is a reason for every single unanswered one. Most of the time, you cannot figure it out at that time. You might understand years from now, but some reasons may never be clear until eternity with God (when it probably won't matter). Unanswered prayers do have an answer -- "no" or "wait, not now." Will we have the faith and obedience, like Jesus, to accept those answers?

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I truly have such faith in God that I can accept "no" or "wait" to my prayers?
  2. Or do I demand my own way from God?

 

PRAYER: Father, help us in our struggle to accept your will when the answer to our prayers is "no." Let us remember the great struggle Jesus endured and the obedience he displayed when faced with a "no."

No comments:

Post a Comment