Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

QT 5/25/2022 Matt 27:45-50, We are very sick and in need of a savior

Matthew 27:45–50 (ESV) — 45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” 47 And some of the bystanders, hearing it, said, “This man is calling Elijah.” 48 And one of them at once ran and took a sponge, filled it with sour wine, and put it on a reed and gave it to him to drink. 49 But the others said, “Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him.” 50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.

 

NOTE: I am dumbfounded. Did someone really say, "wait and see if Elijah will come?" Really? What did they think was going on? Was this a first century version of a reality show? Were they there for the entertainment of death? Did all they care about was having their senses tickled with some excitement? And we are certainly no different today -- it's not interesting unless it is new. Horror films (which I don't watch so I could be wrong) have to turn up the degree of wickedness and outdo the last film. Realities show have to include "drama." What a wicked and perverse generation we are today as was the generation during Jesus' life! I realize that this has little to do with the crucifixion, but what has happened to the human spirit?

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I more interested in being tickled than in doing the right thing?
  2. Is doing the right thing boring?

 

PRAYER: Father, have mercy on us and transform our spirits. Wake us up to our humanity. Help us to see we have a sin problem. A man killed 18 people yesterday in an elementary school and all we want to talk about is gun control. We have a sick spiritual problem that won't go away with laws -- we need to be born again.

No comments:

Post a Comment