Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

QT 5/24/2022 Matt 27:37-44, He died because he loved me

Matthew 27:37–44 (ESV) — 37 And over his head they put the charge against him, which read, “This is Jesus, the King of the Jews.” 38 Then two robbers were crucified with him, one on the right and one on the left. 39 And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads 40 and saying, “You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross.” 41 So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, 42 “He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43 He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’ ” 44 And the robbers who were crucified with him also reviled him in the same way.

 

NOTE: Verse 43 is another rebuke to the skeptics who try to argue that Jesus never said he was the Son of God. Clearly, what he did say left no doubt in the Jewish mind that he was declaring himself the Son of God. The Romans sarcastically call him the King of the Jews, but ironically that also is true. He was the Son of God, and he was the King of the Jews, and he could bring himself down from the cross -- all these statements are true, but his love kept him there. The nails did not hold him to the cross but the love for us held him there. Paul would later write:

 

Galatians 2:20 (RSV) — 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

 

He love "ME" and gave himself for "ME." The cross was no accident but the plan of God to save us from our sin, and give eternal life to all those who would believe and receive him.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I received Jesus into my life?
  2. Is he truly my Lord and Savior?

 

PRAYER: Father, like Paul, I can write that you loved me and you gave yourself for me. I am so unworthy of such love. I am so undeserving. Words cannot express my own feelings of unbelief that I could be saved. And words cannot express my thankfulness either.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment