Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 23, 2022

QT 5/23/2022 Matt 27:32-36, Seeing beyond myself

Matthew 27:32–36 (ESV) — 32 As they went out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name. They compelled this man to carry his cross. 33 And when they came to a place called Golgotha (which means Place of a Skull), 34 they offered him wine to drink, mixed with gall, but when he tasted it, he would not drink it. 35 And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots. 36 Then they sat down and kept watch over him there.

 

NOTE: We don't know much about Simon. He was forced to carry Jesus' cross part of the way -- probably because Jesus was too week from the flogging and beating. The drink, either intended to relieve the pain or poison him was rejected. The soldiers, as usual, gambled for the loot, his clothing. Little did most people know or understand that the Son of God-made-man was dying in their place. The most momentous death in human history -- the death that would save millions. It was just another day of executing criminals to all the participants. They missed the significance of the event because they were all consumed by their own world. It is easy to miss significant events that are happening all around us because we are too busy or too focused in the weeds. We need to daily step back and ask God what he is doing.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I ever stop and ask God what he is doing around me?
  2. Do I every try to look for those signs?
  3. Am I only focused on myself?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to not get so focused on myself that I miss what you are doing in other people's lives. Give me insight and sensitivity to the people I interact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment