Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

QT 5/4/2022 Matt 26:40-44 , Our actions tell us what we really believe about prayer

Matthew 26:40–44 (ESV) — 40 And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 42 Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” 43 And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again.

 

NOTE: Jesus is praying, fervently, for one hour, for the cup to pass. I wonder what the discussion with the Father was like. After finding the disciples sleeping, he returns to prayer, but this time, his prayer -- "if this cannot pass" -- seems more resigned to the fact that it is the Father's will and there really is no other option. Again he returns and finds them sleeping. For Jesus, prayer was more important than sleep in this last day of his life. There are a lot more reasons than tiredness to skip prayer, and our flesh seems to find them all. But besides the physical aspects, there is the mental / psychological aspect of not believing that our prayers make a difference. Certainly, we don't say that, but we live like it and we act it out (by not praying). If we believed in answered prayer, we would pray without fault. So, our lack of prayer says more about our belief about prayer (a mental state) than anything else.

 

PONDER:

  1. What do I really believe about prayer?
  2. What is the evidence of my life in my belief about prayer?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for my prayerlessness. For whatever I say, my actions show my little regard. I know I need it and yet I am so weak in it. Renew my faith and love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment