Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, October 31, 2022

QT 10/31/2022 1 Sam 7:10-13, Setting up Ebenezers

1 Samuel 7:10–13 (ESV) —

10 As Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to attack Israel. But the Lord thundered with a mighty sound that day against the Philistines and threw them into confusion, and they were defeated before Israel. 11 And the men of Israel went out from Mizpah and pursued the Philistines and struck them, as far as below Beth-car.

12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, “Till now the Lord has helped us.” 13 So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel. And the hand of the Lord was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel.

 

NOTE: I always get this story confused with the story from Joshua 4 when Israel takes 12 stones from the Jordan river after crossing over it safely, and the pile of stones becomes a memorial to Israel reminding them of how God had removed the flood waters so that they could enter the promised land. It is not a bad idea to set up reminders of specific events. I have some objects on a shelf and writings in this blog that remind me of the things God has done in my life. Because when life gets hard again, and it will, those events of the past can be easily forgotten. And we need to be reminded of God's faithfulness in the past. He has not forgotten us and he will not forget us. We need to trust, lean, and learn.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is the most recent example of God working in a miraculous way in my life? What have I done to remember that event?

 

PRAYER: Father, there are many things you have done in my life over the years. If I look at what you have blessed, I would say my involvement in the intentional discipleship groups has been a significant epoch in my life. I need to have a list of all the men I have gotten to know and invest my life in through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment