Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

QT 1/18/2023 1 Sam 28:3-8, Don't stop at repentance

1 Samuel 28:3–8 (ESV) —

3 Now Samuel had died, and all Israel had mourned for him and buried him in Ramah, his own city. And Saul had put the mediums and the necromancers out of the land. 4 The Philistines assembled and came and encamped at Shunem. And Saul gathered all Israel, and they encamped at Gilboa. 5 When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly. 6 And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams, or by Urim, or by prophets. 7 Then Saul said to his servants, “Seek out for me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.” And his servants said to him, “Behold, there is a medium at En-dor.”

8 So Saul disguised himself and put on other garments and went, he and two men with him. And they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Divine for me by a spirit and bring up for me whomever I shall name to you.”

 

NOTE: Saul seeking a medium may be the lowest point in his life. He was deserted by God, but he was the one who allowed himself to give in to sin and lies. His action, observed by two men he apparently trusted, was a capital offense. He would die within the day.

 

Leviticus 20:6 (ESV) — 6 “If a person turns to mediums and necromancers, whoring after them, I will set my face against that person and will cut him off from among his people.

 

When Samuel had died (in chapter 25), the story of Nabal begins, that ultimately results in David marrying a godly woman, Abigail. Thematically, Saul is hurt by the loss of Samuel, although he seldom met with him. Saul never had a spiritual resource because he never truly sought one. He only sought counsel when he was scared, scared for his own life. He was never a person after God's heart, like David. Saul's life is a series of bad choices. He needed to break the chain. Breaking the cycle requires repentance (which Saul showed at times), but also replacing the bad behavior with good behavior (put off, put on). It was the latter where he failed. He would repent but he never took the next step, such as prayer and reading the scriptures.

 

We can make a lot of mistakes and fail at times, but if we remain committed to repentance and seeking God, we will overcome our sins.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do we repent and stop there?
  2. What is our plan after repentance to seek God? What are the specifics?

 

PRAYER: Father, you know I fail you in many ways. You know my heart. I do want to know you more fully. I want to seek you. I want my life to exhibit you to others. Give me grace to grow to be more like my savior, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment