Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 20, 2023

QT 1/20/2023 1 Sam 28:16-20, Never give up obeying

1 Samuel 28:16–20 (ESV) —

16 And Samuel said, “Why then do you ask me, since the Lord has turned from you and become your enemy? 17 The Lord has done to you as he spoke by me, for the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, David. 18 Because you did not obey the voice of the Lord and did not carry out his fierce wrath against Amalek, therefore the Lord has done this thing to you this day. 19 Moreover, the Lord will give Israel also with you into the hand of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons shall be with me. The Lord will give the army of Israel also into the hand of the Philistines.”

20 Then Saul fell at once full length on the ground, filled with fear because of the words of Samuel. And there was no strength in him, for he had eaten nothing all day and all night.

 

NOTE: Actions have consequences. Lately that phrase is used with elections. In this case, the principle is true. There are irrevocable decisions in the kingdom of God that no amount of repentance can change. They are usually physical, but can affect a person spiritually as well (such as Pharaoh when his two hardenings of his heart led God to harden afterwards). Although, if one repents and believes, that does change a person's spiritual future. But if you lived your life in drink, and ruined your liver, repenting will not change the physical consequences of your choices (unless God miraculously heals which is always a possibility). There is one exception to the spiritual rule, and that is during the tribulation. Once you receive the mark of the beast (which includes a declaration of faith/submission to the antichrist), there is no spiritual recovery. Actions have consequences unless God in his mercy and grace, for his reason, chooses otherwise.

 

PONDER:

  1. Is there an area where I am not being obedient to the command of God?

 

PRAYER: Father, I do want to be obedient. I know I will always struggle against sin. I have a sinful flesh. I never want to get to the point where I give up in my battle against any particular sin. I want to repent. I want to ask your Spirit for more help to say no to the temptations of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment