Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 26, 2023

QT 1/26/2023 1 Sam 30:21-25, Being a supporter not a detractor

1 Samuel 30:21–25 (ESV) —

21 Then David came to the two hundred men who had been too exhausted to follow David, and who had been left at the brook Besor. And they went out to meet David and to meet the people who were with him. And when David came near to the people he greeted them. 22 Then all the wicked and worthless fellows among the men who had gone with David said, “Because they did not go with us, we will not give them any of the spoil that we have recovered, except that each man may lead away his wife and children, and depart.” 23 But David said, “You shall not do so, my brothers, with what the Lord has given us. He has preserved us and given into our hand the band that came against us. 24 Who would listen to you in this matter? For as his share is who goes down into the battle, so shall his share be who stays by the baggage. They shall share alike.” 25 And he made it a statute and a rule for Israel from that day forward to this day.

 

NOTE: Apparently this precedent of David's lasted for many centuries. The ideas are biblical. There are a few basic principles embedded in the rule. One, the spoil is not earned by the individual but given by God. Two, the fact that a person lives through a battle is in itself a gift from God. Three, every part of a military operation is important and each part should be rewarded evenly. Logistical support is just as important as operations.

 

The second thing of note is that even a well-trained force has its share of "wicked and worthless fellows." These men are the ones who can always tell you why something is wrong. These men are greedy. These men don't recognize God's work if they ran full speed into a miraculously appearing wall. These men are the same ones who waste the time of the leader and do more harm than good.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I think of others when God blesses or only of myself?
  2. Am I an encourager of my boss or an Eeyore?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to be a positive force at work and not a negative. I pray my bosses would see me as a supporter. I pray my employees would see my as an encourager.

No comments:

Post a Comment