Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

QT 1/24/2023 1 Sam 30:1-6, Bringing God into the everyday

1 Samuel 30:1–6 (ESV) —

1 Now when David and his men came to Ziklag on the third day, the Amalekites had made a raid against the Negeb and against Ziklag. They had overcome Ziklag and burned it with fire 2 and taken captive the women and all who were in it, both small and great. They killed no one, but carried them off and went their way. 3 And when David and his men came to the city, they found it burned with fire, and their wives and sons and daughters taken captive. 4 Then David and the people who were with him raised their voices and wept until they had no more strength to weep. 5 David’s two wives also had been taken captive, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel. 6 And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.

 

NOTE: Some people argue that this was the result of David's deceit. I'm sure the talk of stoning surely questioned his tactics and the decision to live with the Philistines. Still, when David calls upon God (the first time that is mentioned in the last few chapters), he does not confess sin. On the other hand, the question seems obvious, "should I go after them?" Of course would be the answer. But the fact that David seeks God before acting is in apparent contradiction to the record of his recent actions. Either way, bringing God into even the most basic issues is never a bad choice.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I bring God into the most basic decisions of my life or do I almost always rely on my own human wisdom?

 

PRAYER: Father, I do not want to rely upon myself. I know you have given us knowledge and wisdom to make decisions, but I can still seek you and bring you into those decisions. Holy Spirit work in my heart to lead and guide me in correct choices.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment