Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 23, 2023

QT 1/23/2023 1 Sam 29:4-9, Is it ever appropriate to lie?

1 Samuel 29:4–9 (ESV) —

4 But the commanders of the Philistines were angry with him. And the commanders of the Philistines said to him, “Send the man back, that he may return to the place to which you have assigned him. He shall not go down with us to battle, lest in the battle he become an adversary to us. For how could this fellow reconcile himself to his lord? Would it not be with the heads of the men here? 5 Is not this David, of whom they sing to one another in dances,

‘Saul has struck down his thousands,

and David his ten thousands’?”

6 Then Achish called David and said to him, “As the Lord lives, you have been honest, and to me it seems right that you should march out and in with me in the campaign. For I have found nothing wrong in you from the day of your coming to me to this day. Nevertheless, the lords do not approve of you. 7 So go back now; and go peaceably, that you may not displease the lords of the Philistines.” 8 And David said to Achish, “But what have I done? What have you found in your servant from the day I entered your service until now, that I may not go and fight against the enemies of my lord the king?” 9 And Achish answered David and said, “I know that you are as blameless in my sight as an angel of God. Nevertheless, the commanders of the Philistines have said, ‘He shall not go up with us to the battle.’

 

NOTE: This story is difficult. I believe it was David's intent to appear as King Achish's friend, while he was actually his enemy. King Saul saw David as his enemy, when really he was a loyal servant. David is certainly misleading Achish in his intent. David is playing the spycraft/diplomacy game well. In order to play that game, one must be deceitful. Rahab, a distant grandmother to him did similarly. Was it wrong? God does not comment. Ultimately, the events of this story and next chapter give David an alibi to not have been involved in Saul's death. In fact, David and his men will be many miles away killing Amalekites when Saul and his sons die.

 

I have to believe that this game of deceit, or even lifestyle of deceit is only appropriate in the affairs of nations. The letter of the law, "do not lie," can only be overturned by the spirit of the law, "love your neighbor." In order to protect his men and to stop Saul from wasting precious resources hunting David down, David deceitfully had made himself an asset to the Philistines -- because, he loved his men, and he loved his nation. But this is the exception to the rule.

 

The general rule is always honesty. Few of us are ever involved in national affairs.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I honest in my relationship with my employees and in my business dealings? That is the standard. Employees and business have nothing to do with the battle of nations.

 

PRAYER: Father, there are seldom ever reasons to lie, but when it comes to hurting someone unnecessarily, maybe there are a few legitimate cases. Jesus said that the whole law is summed up in one command, love God, and love your neighbor as yourself. Help me Spirit to obey the spirit of the law, that is to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment