Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 5, 2023

QT 1/5/2023 1 Sam 23:19-24, Obeying God or man

1 Samuel 23:19–24 (ESV) —

19 Then the Ziphites went up to Saul at Gibeah, saying, “Is not David hiding among us in the strongholds at Horesh, on the hill of Hachilah, which is south of Jeshimon? 20 Now come down, O king, according to all your heart’s desire to come down, and our part shall be to surrender him into the king’s hand.” 21 And Saul said, “May you be blessed by the Lord, for you have had compassion on me. 22 Go, make yet more sure. Know and see the place where his foot is, and who has seen him there, for it is told me that he is very cunning. 23 See therefore and take note of all the lurking places where he hides, and come back to me with sure information. Then I will go with you. And if he is in the land, I will search him out among all the thousands of Judah.” 24 And they arose and went to Ziph ahead of Saul.

Now David and his men were in the wilderness of Maon, in the Arabah to the south of Jeshimon.

 

NOTE: Not much is known of the Ziphites, although they are descendants of Caleb, a man of faith and renown. Their willingness to give up a fellow Judahite is saddening, but also shows the power of fear. People will do evil things when in fear of their lives. Saul's madness and actions against Nob had terrified the people. Ziph, rather than waiting for Saul to hear they knew about David, act first and take their information to Saul. They were, in a sense, obeying the Lord's anointed and so the line is very blurry. David has been accused of insurrection, but there was no evidence.

 

The future antichrist will use the same techniques of fear to silence people and even cause people to commit evil against one another. Even now, people are silenced from speaking up out of fear of losing a job. Where will it end? What about their retirement savings or pensions? Will those also be at risk someday?

 

Still, we must not be like the Ziphites. We must look at the situation through the lens of scripture and do what it is right. We must obey the government as long as it does not violate the commands of God.

 

PONDER:

  1. Peter once said to the Sanhedrin (the Jewish governing authority), shall we obey God or man? Who will I obey?

 

PRAYER: Father, this is very hard. It is very difficult to find that line. Give me wisdom to do my work (for which I am paid) and to share the gospel through my lifestyle (at work), and share in words when I am not at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment