Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 9, 2023

QT 1/9/2023 1 Sam 24:14-22, Trusting God's will versus making God's will

1 Samuel 24:14–22 (ESV) —

14 After whom has the king of Israel come out? After whom do you pursue? After a dead dog! After a flea! 15 May the Lord therefore be judge and give sentence between me and you, and see to it and plead my cause and deliver me from your hand.”

16 As soon as David had finished speaking these words to Saul, Saul said, “Is this your voice, my son David?” And Saul lifted up his voice and wept. 17 He said to David, “You are more righteous than I, for you have repaid me good, whereas I have repaid you evil. 18 And you have declared this day how you have dealt well with me, in that you did not kill me when the Lord put me into your hands. 19 For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away safe? So may the Lord reward you with good for what you have done to me this day. 20 And now, behold, I know that you shall surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand. 21 Swear to me therefore by the Lord that you will not cut off my offspring after me, and that you will not destroy my name out of my father’s house.” 22 And David swore this to Saul. Then Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold.

 

NOTE: Chapter 24 contains the longest quotations of both David and Saul in the book. The author saw this event and the words as a key moment. Even when "fate" presented an opportunity for David to "speed up" the prophecy, David would not sin (raise his hand against God's anointed) to achieve his desire. David also did an excellent job of rebuking Saul without directly blaming. David said that evil men have brought up the idea of David harming him (verse 9). And lastly, David chided Saul for wasting of resources to pursue him rather than Israel's enemies by humbly calling himself (David) a dead dog and a flea.

 

For his part, Saul's response is full of repentance, regret, and sane acknowledgment of David's future kingdom. He even asks that David protect his family and his name in the future, which David immediately agrees.

 

Yesterday the Pastor shared that discovering God's will was 1) discerning your passion for good in the kingdom, and 2) understanding what will require faith in God's power to see done. David could have achieved kingship in his power, but he chose to act in faith and wait. There is a level of prudence, but the level must not tarry near the line of sin or perceived sin.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my passion for good in the kingdom?
  2. What will require me to wait upon God?

 

PRAYER: Lord, you know my answers to these questions. What I desire cannot happen without your direct involvement. I must be prudent but I must not sin. I will wait and I will pray to see what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment