Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

QT 10/11/2023 Mark 1:12-13, Trials are part of life

Mark 1:12–13 (ESV) —

12 The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. 13 And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him.

 

NOTE: Mark leaves out the actual temptations of the enemy. The wild animals seem to suggest a reason for fear, while the angels ministering to him would be a source of comfort. Mark does not mention the fact that he was fasting either. Mark is also known for the use of the word "immediately" and it can be translated as "drove … out" or "impelled."  Brooks (1992) argues that it does not suggest Jesus was reluctant but rather there was a divine necessity. Mark gives very little detail, nor any results or conclusions. In fact, the inclusion of the story would suggest that this is part and parcel of being a servant of God. You will be tempted. You will be in fear. You will experience God's presence. But no one should expect life to be a bed of roses if they are committed to serving him.

 

PONDER:

  1. What trials have I or am I going through?
  2. What did I or am I learning through my trials?

 

PRAYER: Father, I don't like the idea of trials and temptations. I would wish to get rid of that part of life. I suppose I like the end results, but I don't enjoy the process of getting there. Give me strength to stand strong in those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment