Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, October 13, 2023

QT 10/13/2023 Mark 1:16-20, What is mean to really be a disciple?

Mark 1:16–20 (ESV) —

16 Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19 And going on a little farther, he saw James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20 And immediately he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants and followed him.

 

NOTE: While Mark does show the human, "not-so-good" side of the disciples in other sections of the book, this first encounter is certainly a positive characterization of the men. God calls men and the proper response is immediate (as exemplified by Simon and Andrew) and complete (as emphasized by James and John). Later, they would become his apostles, but for now they were disciples, not mere followers, but something quite a bit more than the simple definition used during the times. Also, Jesus calls them with a purpose, to be fishers of men. They were working, making a living, and catching fish to feed themselves and their families. Now they would serve others, and trust God to provide the finances. I doubt they understood any of that at the time. I think Jesus was an unbelievably compelling person to anyone who truly believed in God. I doubt any believer could turn him down or say no, although there are examples of men who went away sad because they could not.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my commitment to Jesus? He is not here in person, but should my response be any different?
  2. Any what does my response indicate concerning my faith?

 

PRAYER: Father, we need a humble response to those around us. None of us have all the answers. None of us deserve to be elevated or even listened to more than others. None of us know you as we could or should. Have mercy on us in our stupidity. Help us to see ourselves as you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment