Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, October 2, 2023

QT 10/2/2023 Ezek 46:19-24, The importance of relationships in the millennial kingdom

Ezekiel 46:19–24 (ESV) —

19 Then he brought me through the entrance, which was at the side of the gate, to the north row of the holy chambers for the priests, and behold, a place was there at the extreme western end of them. 20 And he said to me, “This is the place where the priests shall boil the guilt offering and the sin offering, and where they shall bake the grain offering, in order not to bring them out into the outer court and so transmit holiness to the people.”

21 Then he brought me out to the outer court and led me around to the four corners of the court. And behold, in each corner of the court there was another court— 22 in the four corners of the court were small courts, forty cubits long and thirty broad; the four were of the same size. 23 On the inside, around each of the four courts was a row of masonry, with hearths made at the bottom of the rows all around. 24 Then he said to me, “These are the kitchens where those who minister at the temple shall boil the sacrifices of the people.”

 

NOTE: We need food for energy. We don't have perpetual nuclear fusion or skins with solar cells built in (like plants), God created a process that uses food to fuel our lives. In that design decision, a wonderful thing happens: relationships, and sometimes even spiritual fellowship.1 People gather around food to talk and share things. Food and the associated fellowship is a good thing. God created it for good. Unger (below) lists four purposes of the temple, but he leaves out at least one element, the importance of human interaction and the building of spiritual relationships in the house of God.

 

Merrill Unger listed four purposes of Ezekiel’s temple: to demonstrate God’s holiness (42:1–20), to provide a dwelling place for the divine glory (43:1–17), to provide a center for the divine government (43:7), and to perpetuate the memorial of sacrifice (43:18–27).

 

I think we forget the importance of food in building relationships. I want to incorporate more dinners with individuals in this new year.

 

1 Note: my bar for spiritual fellowship is higher than most. I don't consider sports, the weather, and even work discussion as fellowship. A discussion that involves spiritual encouragement or challenge or wisdom, that is what fits my definition of spiritual fellowship.

 

PONDER:

  1. When was the last time we invited a family over for dinner?
  2. Do I engage in spiritual fellowship or do I waste good relational time?

 

PRAYER: In these new days, where I have more time, help me to use it wisely to meet people on a different relational level.

No comments:

Post a Comment