Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

QT 10/18/2023 Mark 1:35-39, Waiting and believing

Mark 1:35–39 (ESV) —

35 And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. 36 And Simon and those who were with him searched for him, 37 and they found him and said to him, “Everyone is looking for you.” 38 And he said to them, “Let us go on to the next towns, that I may preach there also, for that is why I came out.” 39 And he went throughout all Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and casting out demons.

 

NOTE: I don't remember when I actually heard someone say, that even though there was still a need in the town they were in, Jesus moved on. He had a purpose, and that purpose was for as many people as possible who lived in Israel to see the Messiah and the identifying miracles. Later, when Jesus would send his disciples out two-by-two, he told them to "stay" in a house that accepted him. Two different approaches for two different reasons. Jesus could have healed a lot more people in need. But, he didn't. He left and he moved on to another city because of a higher purpose. Sometimes it's hard to understand why God does not heal right now. There is probably a higher purpose or something that he is doing in our lives that requires us to continue in the state in which we are in. It's not easy, but it is necessary to be in the will of God. For when we are not in the will of God, much worse things will occur.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I believe God knows what is best?
  2. Am I willing to wait on God's better answer?

 

PRAYER: Thank you Lord. This lesson has resonated over the years. I'm still not there. I still hurt when a deep or desperate prayer is not answered. I know I need to trust, but it is very hard at times. Strengthen my faith, help me to be a witness of you in this very cold world.

No comments:

Post a Comment