Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, December 1, 2023

QT 12/1/2023 Mark 7:31-37, Growing spiritually strong disciples

Mark 7:31–37 (ESV) —

31 Then he returned from the region of Tyre and went through Sidon to the Sea of Galilee, in the region of the Decapolis. 32 And they brought to him a man who was deaf and had a speech impediment, and they begged him to lay his hand on him. 33 And taking him aside from the crowd privately, he put his fingers into his ears, and after spitting touched his tongue. 34 And looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.” 35 And his ears were opened, his tongue was released, and he spoke plainly. 36 And Jesus charged them to tell no one. But the more he charged them, the more zealously they proclaimed it. 37 And they were astonished beyond measure, saying, “He has done all things well. He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”

 

NOTE: It would be hard for a man, formerly deaf and mute, not to tell of his healing. It would be hard not to notice. Why did Jesus so often tell others not to say anything? One might argue humility, and that would be true of the Son of God -- He had nothing to prove to anyone. It is possible he did not want the fame to spread too quickly since it would move him to the cross too soon. It does show that he was not intending just to grow crowds. When he defines the word "disciple," he uses the strictest words of exclusion. He wasn't growing a movement. He was growing people, mentoring men and women who would carry on and make disciples. It was far more important to create spiritually growing followers than having a lot of followers.

 

The church today struggles with this idea. Do we grow numbers or do we grow spiritually strong disciples? We want to do both, but spiritual growth is far more important than numbers. We want people on fire, not lukewarm whom Jesus would spit out of his mouth.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where am I on the temperature scale -- cold - lukewarm - hot?
  2. What am I doing to make disciples?

 

PRAYER: These days, may things are happening. And I'm not sure why certain events are occurring in my own life. I trust you. I know your reward is far greater and better than anything I can create on my own. I pray to use these days wisely. I pray for you to take care of details surrounding recent events. I pray for new ideas on how to share my faith as my plans have been thwarted. I want your plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment