Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 21, 2023

QT 12/21/2023 Mark 10:13-16, Make time for everyone

Mark 10:13–16 (ESV) —

13 And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 15 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” 16 And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.

 

NOTE: Earlier, Jesus had used an example of children to contrast humility to the disciples' pride. And more recently, he had chided them for trying to stop others (who were not part of the group) from using Jesus' name. The disciples were suffering from the "importance" syndrome, where we think we are special because of our group identification or some title or applause (and then excluding others who are not part of the group). We are not important, only Jesus is important. We can learn a lot from children, they don't notice importance. The president's children, if young, call him Daddy and run to him just as much as the "lowly" Janitor's children. They are not infected (I know the word is affected) by "standing." In the world's eyes children are insignificant, weak, helpless and dependent (ref. James Brook, NAC Mark). And when we receive children, do we humble ourselves -- we are not so important that children cannot take up part of our time.

 

PONDER:

How do I see children and certain others? Do I see them as an inconvenience, taking me away from important things? Or do I see all as important and worthy of my time? And why do I think my time has "worth?"

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to view the interruptions of life differently. Help me to see all interactions as important. Help me to make all my encounters meaningful each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment