Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

QT 12/19/2023 Mark 9:42-50, Living in a manner that honors God

Mark 9:42–50 (ESV) —

42 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. 43 And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. 45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell. 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, 48 ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’ 49 For everyone will be salted with fire. 50 Salt is good, but if the salt has lost its saltiness, how will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.”

 

NOTE: I don't believe Jesus was suggesting to mar God's creation, but rather that we need to take serious and radical action when it comes to sin. We need to understand our triggers. We need to repent of our sin, and never tire of repenting. We need to pray as Jesus taught, "lead us not into temptation but deliver us from sin." And the real cause-effect issue in this passage is how our sin could affect others. If our lifestyle or actions cause another to sin, that is extremely serious, and radical action is necessary. What do we eat or drink, and where? What would happen to a young believer if they saw us in public eating or drinking? Would they be encouraged or would they be devastated? How do we treat servers and workers? Do we show the love of Christ or do we rant and demand special attentions and things done our way? Are we selfish standing in line? Are we even observant about the others around us?

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I live in such a way outwardly as to encourage others to walk with Christ?
  2. Or do I live in such a way as to bring shame to Christ and to encourage others to sin?

 

PRAYER: Father, protect me from sin. Continue to open my eyes to my behavior. As a frequent speaker, I pray that my messages would be true and according to your word. Help me to see where my actions or words could confuse others, and even cause them to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment