Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, December 18, 2023

QT 12/18/2023 Mark 9:38-41, Getting the message out anyway possible

Mark 9:38–41 (ESV) —

38 John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” 39 But Jesus said, “Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. 40 For the one who is not against us is for us. 41 For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward.

 

NOTE: Paul said something similar, and in Paul's case, the individuals were doing it for false motives.

 

Philippians 1:15–18 (ESV) — 15 Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. 16 The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

Yes, and I will rejoice,

 

I think what is hard for me, is to see someone preaching Christ, and the baggage around the person is not pretty. I'm not a fan of street preachers because it can cause others to think that becoming a Christian will then involve street preaching.

 

But if I really had Jesus' or Paul's attitude, I would rejoice. People need to hear about Jesus, and people also need to see a good witness. Some plant and some water, but God gives the growth.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I critical of other Christians and how they share the gospel?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for a critical spirit. I need to rejoice that the message goes forth. I also need to be less critical of the church and focus on my own life and my own sharing of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment