Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, December 15, 2023

QT 12/15/2023 Mark 9:33-37, Jesus' type of leader

Mark 9:33–37 (ESV) —

33 And they came to Capernaum. And when he was in the house he asked them, “What were you discussing on the way?” 34 But they kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. 35 And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” 36 And he took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, he said to them, 37 “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.”

 

NOTE: Jesus is God and as such, he does not need to ask a question of anyone. I believe that every question of God's exist for our sake and for a purpose. Jesus knew what they were discussing, but he asks them, and none respond, why? Because they were embarrassed. He was talking about death and they were discussing next in line for a promotion. Yes, they should be ashamed. Also, Jesus was training a new style of leadership, where the leader is humble and serves others, not himself. It was very different from the world's style. Children were the bottom of the social ladder of that time. Jesus' picking up the child emphasized that it was the things the world did not consider important or worthy of our time, those are the things a leader for Jesus should consider.

 

PONDER:

  1. As a leader, do I put others first or myself?
  2. Who are the people I ignore and how can I change my response?

 

PRAYER: Father, my normal nature is pride, just like the disciples. Forgive me and help me to see the people you put in front of me. Help me to be loving and caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment