Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, December 22, 2023

QT 12/22/2023 Mark 10:17-22, Wealth as a hindrance to being a disciple

Mark 10:17–22 (ESV) —

17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’ ” 20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.” 21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

 

NOTE: The love of wealth is a hindrance to following God. It can even be a hindrance to salvation as the next section (Mark 10:23-31) implies. I think Brooks is correct in his assessment of the passage:

 

The entire section emphasizes that riches make being a disciple difficult but the rewards of discipleship are worth more than material possessions. Jesus did not teach that wealth is evil. He did not teach that poverty is better than riches. He did not teach that only the poor can be saved. He did teach that discipleship is costly and that wealth often is a hindrance to repentance and acceptance of the gospel. [Brooks, J. A. (1991). Mark (Vol. 23, p. 161). Broadman & Holman Publishers.]

 

So I think the question that is worth asking is how is my wealth or desire for money affecting my ability to be a disciple? Now that I am retired, the question is different for me than for someone else. In one sense, I am more restricted in my giving or charity because of a greatly restricted income. Although I have reduced many unnecessary expenditures, life is just harder, although not difficult. God was gracious, and decisions made in the past have provided necessary income and then some. But still, how is my wealth affecting me? Could I give more? Do I worry too much about my funds surviving 20-30 years of retirement?

 

I think I will see my giving grow as I become more comfortable with the change. The better question for me is how am I using my time. What could I do better in my expenditure of my time? In this next year, I need to make time to meet with people regularly beyond my two small discipleship groups.

 

PONDER:

  1. How does a desire for wealth affect ministry?
  2. How am I doing in being a disciple? What is holding me back?

 

PRAYER: Father, I have had some months now to adjust to a new schedule and life. And yet, I don't feel I have made the transition well. Help me to be more disciplined in the things I want to accomplish in this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment