Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 7, 2023

QT 12/7/2023 Mark 8:22-26, Faith can be a journey

Mark 8:22–26 (ESV) —

22 And they came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. 23 And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?” 24 And he looked up and said, “I see people, but they look like trees, walking.” 25 Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26 And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.”

 

NOTE: Another result of the rejection by the Jewish leaders is that Jesus' healings usually required faith. Now, in this passage faith is not mentioned, but it is interesting that the healing is not immediate, but only partial at first, as if the person didn't really have faith until he could begin to see. Also, Jesus doesn't usually question a person, and here he asks him if he can see. That would suggest that the healing is partially based on the person's faith. The story adds to the credibility or the historicity of Mark's account. This is the only example in scripture of a two-staged healing. Why would the early church create a kind-of one-off healing unless it actually occurred?

 

What is the message of this story? I think it shows people whose faith is weak and need to see more before they can believe. One does not have to immediately believe in God, to ultimately come to saving knowledge of Christ. It can be a journey to healing and that is okay.

 

PONDER:

  1. We are all journeys to some extent, but my choices affect my direction. Am I heading toward or away from God in the things that I choose to do?

 

PRAYER: Father, give me grace and wisdom these days to use my time wisely. I pray that I can be a help to people, that I can mentor and minister to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment