Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, December 29, 2023

QT 12/29/2023 Mark 11:12-14, Walk the talk

Mark 11:12–14 (ESV) —

12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14 And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.

 

NOTE: I think there is evidence in the passage to take what happened as symbolic (and real). The key piece of evidence is Mark's admission that it was not the season for figs. Rather than a realistic event (it did happen), this is much like Jeremiah or Ezekiel acting out a message to make a point. Israel was the fig tree, and God came and found it was not producing fruit, so Israel was cursed for their failure and their unbelief. This story brackets the next story (as the fig tree in brought up again), so we must view it as emphasizing what it brackets. The story that follows is the temple and the turning over of the money-changer tables. Jesus (God) was angry with the corruption that had come into the temple, just as he was angry at the fig tree. And just as the fig tree is cursed, so is the temple. It would be destroyed 40 years later. I believe that already the offer of the kingdom has been withdrawn from the nation, though still open to individuals; individuals who would take the kingdom message to the Gentile world. But God is not finish with his people yet, and there will come a time when the offer will be made again. I believe we are nearing that day, when God will focus on Israel (the tribulation period) and the whole nation (or what is left) will turn to Jesus for salvation.

 

PONDER:

  1. In what areas, like Israel, am I a hypocrite?
  2. Do I walk my talk?

 

PRAYER: Father, a new year is around the corner. I am excited and always a little fearful of what a new year brings. I can only do what is expected of me, and I pray I will be faithful to you. Open my eyes to areas of hypocrisy in my life. Help me to see and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment